Saturday, July 14, 2012

Why is a Raven Like a Writing Desk?

I've always been told that my sidecar handles more like an ATV than a motorcycle.  Today I got the chance to find that out for myself.  I'll cut to the chase and tell you that they are mostly correct.  I remember thinking at one point in the ride that a sidecar is all the fun and twice the terror of an ATV.

I had rented and ATV and went on a guided ride with a local company here in Ouray.  That means that I had someone riding in front of me with more experience and who knew where they were going.  I had chosen to do a half day ride to Yankee Boy Pass because it was considered an easy ride.  Since it was my first day on an ATV and since I have to ride to Pueblo tomorrow, I didn't want to push myself.  It was a glorious ride, the scenery was wonderful, the weather was cool, and the road went from easy peasy to just challenging enough.  After we did the pass my guide offered to take me to an Alpine Lake.  The trail would be more technical that what we had been doing but he let me know if I got into trouble to just stop and he would come back and help me out.  I didn't need any help.  With the ATV, I could go places the sidecar can't.  However, it is an easier machine to handle than the sidecar is so I actually was a bit ahead on my skill levels than another novice ATVer.  Like I said, all the fun and twice the terror.  I enjoyed my day and  would like to ride an ATV again.  Is it better than my sidecar.  Nope, not by a long shot.

I did get some pictures from my ride but haven't processed them yet, they'll be up soon. Tomorrow, I start my homeward run.  I'll be in Pueblo tomorrow and it will be hot (like 101).  So I want to leave early.  See everyone in Pueblo.


By the way, although I don't want to get into the details here, this was a very significant date for me.  Not just Bastille Day. Today three years ago I lost the most important woman in my life.  Today's ride, today's new experience, was in honor of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment