Saturday, June 5, 2010

Route 66 Trip

Yes, I know it's been days since I've updated and I'm somewhat sorry about that. It just feels like this trip has been a very contemplative one for me. I've needed to soak things in before I shared. I've also been falling into bed as soon as possible every night.

The night before we headed towards Alabama, we watched Cars. I think it made all of us sad about not continuing down the Route. At 1:00 that morning, Mr Man woke me up to tell me that we would be heading into massive rain pretty much all the way there and all the way home. He had come up with another solution. We could go 100 or so miles each day on 66 and reach Tucumcari before we had to head home. We ran the plan by Sypderman and Zippo the next morning and they agreed to do it. It would mean shorter days so an easier recovery from the heat. It would also mean we could stop and see more.

So the first night we hit Elk City. Then Amarillo to stay two nights in order to ride Palo Duro Canyon. Tonight we hit Tucumcari. I could go on about the facts, we saw Cadillac Ranch. Hit two museums. Rode down dirt 66 today and it was hot and challenging. We stopped in Glenrio to mourn a town that didn't make it and spent money in Clinton, Elk City, and Adrian to support towns trying to make it. We ate too much food at the Big Texan. My bike is developing a few leaks we'll need to see to when we return.....I could go on and on.

But that's not what this trip was about. This trip was about letting go of expectation and allowing the trip to come to you. Feeling the Motheroad vibrating up into my body through my bike was unlike anything I've experienced. I've cried almost every day because of something wonderful the day brought me. I've let go of any expectations as to what we'll even see. We made it here tonight and aren't staying at the Blue Swallow, aren't shopping at the Tee Pee Curio shop and aren't eating at Del's because we are tired from the road. Today the road was it's own reward. I have been reminded that 66 is not a souvenir shop (although I've bought some to help support the business and the people who run them) 66 is a journey. Maybe you'll see a historic building, maybe you'll just make it down Dirt 66 between Glenrio and St. Jon without putting your bike down. It's all a win.

We saw an apple at Cadillac Ranch. It was sitting perfect and untouched in the pasture. I gave a nod to the Chaos diety Mr Man honors and reminded myself that nothing can be taken for granted on this road, not even the road itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment